Danvers Car Accident Guide

Danvers LawyerDanvers, Massachusetts is a town with a rich history. A small community of only approximately 26,500 people, Danvers is an ideal family-oriented community on Boston’s North Shore. With Interstate 95 and Massachusetts Route 128 both passing through the town though, Danvers is also a place where the risk of being involved in a car accident is perhaps higher than other small towns in Massachusetts. If you’ve been involved in a car accident In Danvers, attorney Timothy P. Houten can provide you with the legal counsel you need. If you’ve been in an accident, here’s what you need to do:

Check for Injuries

The very first thing that you should do following a car accident is to move your car to a safe area, and to check everyone in the vehicle for injuries. If injuries are present, call 911 and ask for an ambulance immediately. Even if injuries are not present, you should call the police to report the accident as soon as possible.

Gather as Much Information as Possible

The second thing that you should do following an accident and calling the police is to begin to gather information and evidence about the accident. You should always get the other driver’s name, car make and model, license plate number, and insurance information. Additionally, take note of any property damage or injuries, as well as things such as skid marks on the road.

If you have a camera, take pictures; pictures of the damage to all vehicles, of the location on the road where the collision took place, and of any individual and injuries.

Take notes about what you believe caused the accident, and make sure you include the date and time of the accident in your notes. Make sure you also get the name and badge number of the officer who reports the accident.

File an Insurance Claim for Damages

Massachusetts is a no-fault insurance state, which means that in the event of a car accident, each driver is responsible for filing a claim with his or her own insurance company, regardless of fault. Massachusetts motor vehicle insurance companies are obligate to pay up to $8,000 in Personal Injury Protection, or PIP insurance.

This is no-fault insurance for medical bills and lost earnings. Contact an experienced car accident attorney to learn to get the most out of PIP benefits – they can be complicated.

Consult with a Danvers Car Accident Attorney

Insurance companies don’t always pay the amount of money that they should, and sometimes, the amount of damages and injuries sustained is extensive. In the case that injuries meet a severe injury threshold – are permanent and disabling – or result in more than $2,000 in medical expenses, a personal injury suit for damages can be filed.

If you need help making sure that you recover a fair benefit amount from your insurance company, or have questions about how to file a personal injury suit in civil court, an attorney can help.

At the Law Office of Timothy P. Houten, our car accident attorneys have a firm understanding of car accident and personal injury law, and can guide you through the process of filing a claim with your insurance company or in civil court against the other driver.
To make sure you get the full benefit amount that you’re entitled to, call our offices now at 978-774-0646 for a free consultation.